Legacy Way delivers ratepayers $60.7m cost saving
Monday, 30 November 2015
Lord Mayor Graham Quirk has announced the congestion busting Legacy Way tunnel has been completed with a saving to ratepayers of $60.7 million, coming in with a final project cost of $1.4857 billion, compared to the original budget of 1.5464 billion.
Cr Quirk said the final project costs were included in Council’s second budget review for 2015/16 that also includes an allocation of $36 million towards four major projects to tackle congestion around the suburbs and the central city.
“Earlier this year we completed Legacy Way which is reducing travel times between the Western Freeway and the Inner City Bypass by 10 to 12 minutes and has also delivered a saving of $60.7 million to ratepayers,” he said.
“My team is focussed on not only delivering infrastructure to tackle traffic congestion but also ensuring we are fiscally responsible in our management of these projects.
“Almost half of the $60.7 million saving on Legacy Way was allocated to our Smoother Suburban Streets project that received a $40 million boost including a Federal Government contribution of $12.5 million to upgrade 450 suburban streets providing a smoother, safer drive for motorists.
“I remain focussed on tackling congestion across our suburbs and we currently have 24 major projects underway, ranging from major corridor upgrades to intersection upgrades, black spot projects, and bridge replacement projects.”
The budget review also showed that Council’s congestion-busting open level crossings projects at Bald Hills and Geebung had realised a further $2.16 million in savings on top of an earlier saving of $31.5 million announced last year.
Cr Quirk said Council was also working with Translink to tackle congestion in the central city by making improvements to bus stops along Adelaide Street and trial a ‘lead stop’ arrangement between George and Albert streets outside City Hall with initiatives to reduce boarding times such as rear door boarding and pre-purchased tickets in the trial area.
“Today I am announcing $2 million to begin planning and design for Stage 2 of the Telegraph Road corridor upgrade to connect to the Deagon Deviation and improve travel times in the area.
“I have also allocated $12.3 million to accelerate acquisitions of 11 residential property resumptions submitted for early purchase for Stage One of the Wynnum Road corridor project that is estimated to provide travel time savings benefits of up to 50 per cent in peak periods.”
The second budget review also includes $20 million towards the $650 million Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade project following last week’s appointment of Lendlease as the head contractor.
“This new contract will not only tackle congestion by delivering travel time savings of up to 30 per cent but will also create an estimated 3,000 much needed jobs for our local economy,” he said.
Cr Quirk said Council will next week vote on the congestion-busting initiatives when the second budget review for 2015/16 is debated.